Monday, February 25, 2008

and the oscar goes to....

i'm not one to sit and watch the oscars.... i just have too many other things going on to sit down and watch something for hours. not to mention, jon stewart, i'm sorry, is just not funny to me. why can't they just do the stinkin' show? why do they HAVE to have an MC anyway?? urg. anyway, so i bailed out after about 30 minutes last night. but am SO GLAD this morning to see that diablo cody won the best writing award for juno (plus, she just rocks the look, doesn't she??)

unlike many others who didn't enjoy this film or thought it was unrealistic - i thought it was BRILLIANT. i watched it actually with my 11 year old daughter, and we had A LOT to talk about. we have a very open relationship, my daughter and i.... we always have, and she knows we can talk about anything and everything. in fact, when she was just in first grade, she came home from school one day and asked what S-E-X was. and i gently gave her a few pieces of info.... and i've been gradually giving her some ever since. i don't EVER want her to feel like she can't talk about her sexuality with me. it is so natural and such a beautiful thing. i don't want it to ever feel shameful or dirty or secretive to her. she is an amazing girl, full of so much creativity and energy! i hope i'm steering her in the right direction. she said last night, after we watched ellen page being interviewed by barbara walters, "mom, what if i came home pregnant at 16? you'd pretty much love me just the same right?" i said, very quickly, "um... i'd pretty much kick your a**." ha! and we both got a chuckle out of it.

man, i've gotten off on a ramble, haven't i?

hope you all are having a great monday.

7 comments:

OMB said...

Yes, you do have to be open with your children. I have 3 daughters so you can imagine some of the conversations around the house. The media is in sexual overload so yes, you do have to talk openly with your children to give them a balanced perspective.

GReat post... oh I don't have time for the ocars either.

theVintageZoo said...

awwww... thanks ophelia. sounds like i might have to be calling on you for some advice. do you know i have three girls as well????
;-) girls ROCKS!!!

i just noticed also that i don't have you linked for some reason. linking you now!

amy said...

I love your response when your daughter asks how you'd feel if she got pregnant. Half serious, half joking. What a great relationship. Oh by the way, you've been tagged, see my blog.

theVintageZoo said...

thanks amy... yes, it was a cute, funny moment. she knows OF COURSE that i will love her unconditionally forever and ever, no matter what. so to say something so off the wall and to see her face... priceless.. :-)

Hobocamp Crafts said...

yeah I thought Jon Stewart made a few funnies- but said a few sort of mean-spirited things the show could do w/out. But we always just watch for like the best actress-best actor & best movie. Then switch around.. besides Dexter and a Law & order marathon was on!
:) I don't have kids yet- but I often fear those conversations about the birsd & the bees- I guess I have soe time to hoan my skills. ;P

Tizzalicious said...

It's great that you have such a good relationship with her!

I totally agree, it's important that you can talk about things like that!

Daphne said...

I love the fact that you are open with your daughter about things, I say things to my boys (girls are still quite young) all the time and while sometimes my answer leaves them covering their ears, shreiking and running out of the room, they still keep coming to me with questions. I hope hey always will.

*see my blog for funny stories...